Rauceby Primary School (Academy) SENCo

January, 2016

1. What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?
In the first instance, you should speak with your child’s class Teacher and explain your concerns. If you are still concerned, then please speak to Mrs Burge (Special Educational Needs Co-ordination – SENCo).

2. How will the school respond to my concern?
We will listen to your concerns and discuss them with you. If a longer meeting is needed, this will be arranged. This meeting will involve you (as a parent/carer) and the class Teacher as a minimum. It may include the SENCo.

3. How will the school decide if my child needs extra support?
The decision to provide extra support will be made by the class Teacher and/or the SENCo and will be based on assessments of your child’s academic and personal progress in class. These assessments can be formal or informal at this stage and may be made purely on observations. You will be involved in deciding next steps and in setting targets to support your child.
4. What will the school do to support my child?
If it is decided that your child needs further support, specific targets will be agreed between the class Teacher and you and these will be recorded on an Education Plan. This support will be organised by the class Teacher and will take place in class wherever possible. The support could involve individual work, small group work or the use of specific resources. The nature and regularity of this support will be recorded on your child’s Education Plan as well as the School’s Provision Map (which shows support provided across the school). An ‘Assess-Plan-Do-Review’ will be put in place with reviews taking place at least once per term. Reviews will take place more often if necessary.
5. Who will support my child in school?
Your child will be supported by:
  • The class Teacher
  • Additional adults (Teaching Assistants) working in the class
  • Additional adults (Teaching Assistants) working in quiet areas around school
  • The SENCo in or out of the class for specific needs
11. What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s attainment and achievement? How will I know how well
my child is progressing?

There are opportunities for brief informal conversations with parents at the end of each day, when the Teacher brings children out onto the playground as well as the home/school diary. There are also parents’ evenings in the Autumn and Spring terms when your child’s progress can be reviewed. However, parents are always welcome to make an appointment after school with their child’s class Teacher, at any point in the school year, if they would like to discuss their child’s progress or have any concerns that need addressing more immediately.
12. How does the school know how well my child is doing?
In the Reception year, all children are assessed against the Early Learning Goals. For the remaining the years, we assess using National Curriculum attainment targets. These targets are age related and Teachers decide whether each child has achieved this target, including if they have exceeded it. For 2014-2015, Years Two and Six continue to use the old curriculum to measure progress. New SATs are to be in place for May 2016.
Should any child be working significantly below age related expectations, we assess using PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting); this allows us to measure small steps of progress and also helps us to set specific targets. We assess children daily through observation, marking and discussion; this ensures all children know how well they have achieved and what the next steps in their learning are. This feedback may be given in writing, orally or both.
All children in Year 1 are assessed formally with regards to their phonic knowledge (sound and letter correspondence); in Year 2 and 6 for speaking and listening, reading, writing, maths and science. These assessments (SATs) are reported to the DfE (Department for Education) and are statutory. In other year groups, your child will be assessed formally but these are for use in school as part of our on-going assessment and tracking of all children’s progress.

What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

6. What training and experience do staff have for the additional support my child needs?
The SENCo has a broad knowledge and experience of SEN and Disabilities and has achieve the National SENCo Award.  The SENCo has also received training in:
  • Speech and Language support
  • Loss and bereavement
  • Dyslexia screening
  • Identification of autistic tendencies
All teaching staff have received Dyslexia training and all Teaching Assistants have received basic autism training.
One teaching assistant provides emotional support for children of families with a parent serving with the Armed Forces.
All teaching assistants have received Phonics training.
7. Who else might be involved in supporting my child?
Where appropriate, outside agencies will be asked to support your child and the staff who work with them. These include:
  • Educational Psychologist – Dr Pam Page
  • Speech and Language Therapist – Gemma Cuffe
  • and could include the following:
  • Grief and Loss
  • Occupational Therapy Department
  • Child and Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Physiotherapy Department
  • Specialist Teaching and Psychology Service (STAPS) which includes Dyslexia Outreach.
8. What support will be there for my child's emotional and social well-being?
The emotional and social well-being of your child is very important to us. Where appropriate, additional support (individual or small group) will be organised to support your child’s emotional and social development or to support your child during a period of emotional upheaval (for instance: when a parent is posted to a war zone). On occasion, outside agencies may be involved in supporting children with emotional or mental health needs.
The school has a zero tolerance attitude to bullying and applies its rules and behaviour policy which is applied consistently to ensure the behaviour and emotional security of all.
The school has a specific policy with regards to children with medical needs as well as to the administration of medicines.
Children with medical needs should have a Health Care Plan completed by their parents; if a child needs medicine to be administered by a staff member, a form should be completed (available on our website or from the school office) and this, along with the medicine, should be handed directly to the child’s class Teacher. All details are on the school’s website.

9. How will my child be involved in the process and be able to contribute their views?
Your child will be asked to contribute to the cycle ‘Assess-Plan-Do-Review’ at all stages and their views will be taken into account at all review meetings. This will be done in a variety of ways, depending on the age, ability and need of your child.

10. How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?
Our curriculum is delivered through high quality teaching, is creative and includes a strong practical element suitable to all abilities. Teachers use a variety of strategies to both enhance the curriculum and ensure access to it by all children. These strategies include: classroom layouts (including seating arrangements), displays, groupings of children, differentiation to meet the needs of individual children and, where appropriate, additional adult support within the class. The use of ICT may also be used in some circumstances to ensure all access the curriculum.
If your child needs support above and beyond what can be provided in class, additional individual or group intervention work will be offered – this can be with a Teacher, the SENCo or Teaching Assistant.
13. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
We have a breakfast club which runs from 7.45am every day and an after school club that runs until 5.30pm every day. All children are welcome to attend these clubs where space allows. There is a charge for both of these clubs. Children who are eligible for Free School Meals may be issued with vouchers that can be used towards the cost of these clubs.
Each year, children will go on at least one school trip. In Year 5 they will go on a 3 day residential trip and in Year 6 they will go further afield on a 5 day residential trip. These trips are related to current topics and curriculum areas. All our trips have more than the recommended number of adults with them, often parents are asked to join their child’s class to maintain this high adult to child ratio.
All trips are open to all children, including those with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability. We have even used specially adapted wheelchairs on our residential field trips to ensure every child is given the same opportunities.
14. How accessible is the school environment? How accessible is the curriculum?
The school is accessible to wheelchairs and there are two accessible toilets.
We use technology to support children’s learning, where this is deemed appropriate, including iPads and laptops. We will use specific equipment and resources to support an individual child’s specific needs.

15. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school?
We organise pre-visits for parents in the Summer term prior to their child starting school. This is an opportunity for parents to talk to their child’s new class Teacher and to become familiarised with the EYFS curriculum as well as information regarding arrangements for transition from nursery to school. In the first half of the Autumn term there is also a coffee morning for parents to meet Reception staff again as well as members of the PTFA (Parent, Teacher and Friends association) and governors.

16. How will the school prepare and support my child to transfer to a new school?
The school works closely with the surrounding secondary schools to ensure a smooth transition to Year 7. Form and year group Teachers visit the school during the Summer term to meet with the Year 6 Teacher and the children themselves to discuss transition. Secondary school SENCos also visit the school to discuss support requirements for those with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities. Further, children spend a day at their new school during the Summer term to familiarize themselves with the new surroundings and routines. Extra visits are often organised for those children who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

17. How can I be involved in supporting my child?
We encourage all parents to be actively involved in their child’s education. We encourage you to read with your child each day and as they get older to ensure that they read quality texts independently at home. Parents should be prepared to help and support their child to complete homework and ensure it is handed on time.
The Parent, Teacher and Friends Association organises a wide variety of fund raising events, from Fireworks Displays to Summer Fetes. All parents are invited to attend meetings and become members.

18. How can I access support for myself and my family?
If you feel that you need further support please speak to Mr Manby (Headteacher) or Mrs Burge (SENCo) who will advise you on whom to contact. You can also contact Additional Needs at Lincolnshire County Council (01522 553332) or Parent Partnerships Service (01522 553351). You can also access information from the Local Authority website:

19. Who can I contact for further information?
For more information contact Mrs Burge (SENCo).
Tel: 01529 488667 or email [email protected]